Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Charlotte's Web CBD Hemp Oil




After last week's seizure scare, L is back on Charlotte's Web hemp oil.  I re-ordered a bigger bottle this time and I am hoping it will last at least six months.  5000 mg came in a 100 ml bottle and I have diluted it into a 500 mg concentration in the 30 ml bottle I kept from last year.  I diluted it with cooking hemp oil (non medicinal whatsoever although it touts to have high DHA) from Whole Foods so that I am administering the recommended pediatric dose as outlined in the Cannabinoid Dosing guideline found on theroc.us website.  L hated the taste of the cooking oil so I squirted a bit of peppermint oil left over from the holidays into the new dilution.  He was OK with the new taste maybe because it comes closer to the original "mint chocolate" flavor he is used to.

This is the calculation I used to dilute the stock 5000 mg by one tenth.

(5000 mg/100 ml) x (x ml) =500 mg

x = 10 ml.

So, I took 10 ml of the stock bottle and added it to 20 ml of Nutiva hemp oil from Whole Foods with a little squirt of Neilson Massey peppermint oil for a final volume of 30 ml containing 500 mg.

The formula theroc used for dosing is:

(weight)x(mg/lb) =(total daily dose) then, (total daily dose) divided by (#of administrations)=individual dose.

The recommended mg/lb for non medically sensitive children is 0.5 mg/lb/day in 2-3 divided administrations.  This is the number I used for L.  They recommend 0.25 mg/lb/day for "medically sensitive" pediatrics...not exactly sure what they mean by "medically sensitive" , perhaps having active seizures?

So, for L, the calculation came out to be this:

(32 lbs) x (0.5 m/lbs) = (16 m total daily dose) / (2 administrations) = 8 m twice a day , once in the morning and once before bedtime.

So, now I have to calculate how much in ml I need to give him from a stock of 500 mg in 30 ml solution.

(30 ml/500mg) x (8 mg) = 0.48 ml of a 500mg/30ml concentration.

I need to give L half a milliliter of my dilution twice a day per the dosing guideline.  The squirter in the 30 ml bottle conveniently shoots out about half a ml so I squeeze the dropper directly into his mouth.

The 5000 mg stock bottle should last us at least 10 months. The cost estimates out to be about $30 per month which is a pretty good deal compared to buying the 30 ml bottles at $70.

We still have not done an EEG so I can't be sure he is having seizures but I am using the supplement prophylactically and for it's neurogenerative properties.

I found these two interesting charts at a marajuana dispensary clinic in LA.  I am not sure if the CBD (blue dots) the chart indicates is the same as hemp from Charlotte's Web as there seem to be soo many strains out there.


A Periodic Table of Cannabis Strains


No side effects yet but will keep my eye out for any, if at all.

Will need to consult a weed doctor once he turns 5 years old so we can get a letter for reimbursement through the healthcare reimbursement account.  They won't see children under 5 and L will turn 5 in two months. Gabe said it may not work since hemp is still federally illegal. It doesn't hurt to try.


UPDATE: Mar 19, 2016:
We have noticed that L no longer needs his afternoon naps!  Around 3 PM he is usually wiped out and took 1-2 hour naps on most days.  After starting Charlotte's Web, he seems more alert and energetic and does not want to lay down for his naps!! He used to nap for 1-2 hours, have dinner, bathe and go to bed around 9 PM.  Now, we are able to bathe, have dinner and get ready for bed by 730 PM and he sleeps until 700 AM.  On a few days he woke up around midnight and was bouncing around but went back to bed within 30 minutes for a good night's sleep.

WebMD states,  "Your child will stick to an afternoon nap until they are anywhere from 2 1/2 to 4 years old. Some 3- or 4-year-olds still take an afternoon nap, but 6-year-olds don't nap."

I am considering this great progress!



No comments:

Post a Comment