Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Is It or Isn't It?

This morning, Luki fell off his cat tree smack onto his back and head.  Thank God I recently purchased a rather expensive 4x6 cushion for the hardwood floor.  He is usually very good at holding onto thing when he is about to fall.  This morning, however, he lost his grip.  Unfortunately, I did not witness the actual situation that led up to the fall.  He did not cry but just lay on the floor looking up at the ceiling.  I left him there thinking he would get up and climb right back to his cat tree where he left Scout, his favorite teddy bear.  He did not.  I picked him up and transferred him to the sofa thinking he would be his active self but he was very quiet and fell asleep.  I went to finish fixing breakfast in the kitchen but something did not bode well with me.  I went back to check up on him and he was sound asleep.  This was 730 in the morning and he never falls back to deep sleep so early after waking up from the night.  I held him in my arms and shook him to wake him up.   He seemed so lethargic and hard to arouse.  I had never seen him like this before and was now panicking that perhaps he had experienced a seizure.

This is the timeline of what happened:

720:  Fell from cat tree (where he lives)
725:  Transferred to sofa where he fell into a deep sleep.  I held him in my arms and tried to gently coax him awake.
745: He finally wakes up but remains very quiet and withdrawn.

I called Kaiser to make a same day appointment to see his pediatrician but the lady on the phone advised that I take him to the ER.  I rushed to get his Dup15q information packet and we were out the door to Downey ER.  He was triaged immediately into a room probably because they felt he might have a brain hemorrhage from the fall.  I was more concerned about a possible seizure than any injury from the fall.  The doctor offered a CT scan of the brain but after reviewing the possible side effects, we decided his injury doesn't really require it.  The rays from a CT are 300 times that of a regular x ray and for a child whose cells are developing rapidly, a mutation can lead to greater problems down the line.  I requested an EEG but upon consulting with an on-call neurologist, we were told that an EEG after a seizure will not really reveal a whole lot.  I was given a referral to our regular neurologist for a follow up appointment.

Around 930 AM, L seemed to be back to his old self.  He ate some oatmeal, a dinner roll and half a banana and seemed alert and inquisitive of his surroundings.  I decided to send him to school today and advised the teacher to keep a closer eye out for him.

I am not sure what exactly L experienced this morning.  My gut is telling me he might have had an absence seizure.  I am hoping this is an isolated incident and that he won't be having these on a regular basis.  My sweet precious boy...I love him so much. My heart breaks today.

UPDATE:  I received a note from his teacher that L fell asleep from 12:00-1:10 during circle time.  Highly unusual for him unless he has been fussy crying and sick.



  I have reordered the CW Hemp oil.  I gave him a double dose of fish oil and the CW hemp oil today.  I reordered a 5000 mg bottle  and will be dosing based on the company's dosing guideline.

No comments:

Post a Comment