Friday, April 1, 2016

Gratitude is the Greatest Healer and the Highest Prayer


L on Spring Break at Adventure City. Just look at that smiley face!
"Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life. It turns what we have into enough, and more. It turns denial into acceptance, chaos to order, confusion to clarity. It can turn a meal into a feast, a house into a home, a stranger into a friend. Gratitude makes sense of our past, brings peace for today, and creates a vision for tomorrow."
~ Melody Beattie ~

A few nights ago at work, I had a colleague moan and complain about the things and people that bug her at work.  I listened intently to what she was saying and asked myself whether they bugged me, too and the answer was a definite yes!  However, unlike her, I usually no longer attach such strong negative emotions to frustrating situations (there are always excepts, of course). Growing older and having had both good and bad life experiences in my personal and professional life, I have succumbed to the approach of "roll with the punches" in dealing with sticky situations.  Being younger and less experienced in life, slights and frustrations can get warped out of proportion and hopefully, she doesn't end up being a chronic complainer and whiner.  Lord knows I've come across so many in their later lives who leave behind in their wake the fragrance of bitterness, anger and hatred for everyone and everything. And, it's not a pretty sight.

Ironic as it may sound, even with the added frustrations and heartbreak that goes with raising a SN child, I have chosen to recognize the things that make me grateful and have realized that there are so many things to be grateful for, things I have not even paid attention to in the past.  One would think that I would be wallowing in sadness, anger and frustration as a SN parent (and I do, some times) but on the contrary, I have come to notice the extraordinary grace God has bestowed upon my life.  I am grateful that Luki is ALIVE(!) he is with me and I get to kiss his little lips every day! What a privilege and no one can take that experience away from me, it is already imprinted in my soul. He knows only one command and that is "Kiss Kiss".  He comes right over puckering up his lips for me to kiss and sometimes he even sticks his tongue out as if he needs his tonsils inspected, ha! I love our ritual at night of bathing and getting a bed time story and I just generally love how awfully cute he is!  I am grateful for all our health and the fact that we are gainfully employed; at what a wonderful husband and father Gabriel is (I got lucky!); all the education I received and the learning I continue to have, the travels I had in the past, work that fulfills my promise to God.  I am so grateful for this time, this precious present time, the here and now with L where there are no worries and concerns. Each second distilled in itself without fear of the future and regrets of the past is precious and sublime.  Somehow, I feel so safe being with L and I can gaze into his little sleeping face for hours without getting tired. 

If you choose to linger around the positive more than the negative, how can you not be happy and grateful?  As Melodie Beattie's quote above suggests, gratitude can be a great healer. 

Iyanla Vazant said there are only three prayers she offers God.  One is "Help!" Another is "Help me NOW" and the third is "thank you".  The highest prayer we can offer God is a simple "thank you".  





Adventure City selfie: Up UP and Away!

This year's picture with the Easter bunny.

He drove me to Adventure City and we are still alive. 

Spring Break: A day at LE Funland


Tumbling in the spinning thingy

Tasting the balls. Le Funland


Easter Brunch at the Almansor 

In his Easter outfit with is Easter artwork in the background. 

Admiring his own artwork.

Happy brunching at the Almansor.


No comments:

Post a Comment