Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Dosage calculations of CBD, DHA and MCT for Optimal Anticonvulsant Properties.





Found an interesting article about the benefits of caprylic acid found in MCT oil I am supplementing L. I want to do some calculations to see if I am giving the right dose for optimal anticonvulsant effect found in this study.

Optimal anticonvulsant range was found to be 10-30 mmol/kg which showed reduced myoclonic and clonic but not tonic convulsions.  Higher doses seem to not be good. 10-60 mmol/kg actually impaired motor performance and lower doses showed little anticonvulsant effect.  So, I want to make sure I am not over or under doing it with this stuff for L.

If I were to give 10 mmol/kg (trying to stay at a conservative range) for L this is the calculation:

Caprylic acid molar mass = 144.21 g/mol

(144.21g/mol)(10mmol)(mol/1000mmol) = 1.4g in 10 mmol of caprylic acid:

This states that 1.4g is equivalent to 10mmol.

There is 7.6g/15ml of pure MCT oil per the bottle.



Therefore,

7.6g/15ml = (x)/1.4g;

x=0.71ml    This means there is 1.4g of caprylic acid in 0.71ml of the MCT oil.

Now, I need to calculate how many mls I need to give for his weight in kg.

Luki weighs 15.42kg.

0.71ml (x) 15.42 kg = 10.9 ml or approximately 11 ml (or little less than one tablespoon) of MCT must be given daily for optimal anticonvulsant effect.  

I am currently  only giving him approximately 4 ml per day so I can definitely double the dose but right now his seizures are well controlled.   I don't have access to the full article so I don't know how long the study lasted and the duration the caprylic acid was given.

____________________________________________________________________________-
 how much DHA I am actually giving L .

Molar mass of DHA: 328.488 g/mol

I administered 1.6g of DHA per day.

(mol/328.488g)(1.6g)= 0.00487mol(x)1000 = 4.87mmol total administered per day.

4.87mmol/15.42kg = 0.32mmol/kg

Wow, didn't realize I am giving him so little yet it makes such a huge and drastic difference!

_____________________________________________________________________

 how much I am giving L of CBD:

CBD molecular weight is 314.4617g/mol

I am currently giving him 16 mg divided into two doses as recommended by the pediatric dosage guidelines from theroc.org. Click here for details.

(mol/314.4617g)(16mg)(1g/1000mg)=0.00000508mol or 0.05mmol/15.42kg=3.3x10(3) mmol/kg

That is very little compared to the caprylic acid! Hmm.maybe I can administer a little more of this stuff..

__________________________________________________________________________
how much resverotrol I should be giving for the kind of seizure control found in this study:

The bottle of reseverotrol I purchased states there is 130mg/5ml.

I usually give about 3ml twice a day for a total of 6 ml per day..

 (130mg/5ml)(6ml) = 156mg per day is what I am giving now.  

The paper states 40mg/kg was administered for seizure control.

So, according to the paper, I should be administering (40mg/kg)(15.42kg)=616.8 mg!

(616.8mg)(5ml/130mg)= 24ml per day or 12 ml twice a day is what I should be giving him! That's a lot!

There is only 148ml in the bottle and this stuff is not cheap!  148ml/24ml =6.  A bottle will only last me 6 days!!

****The study involved a one time administration of  resverotrol before seizures were induced.  They don't offer any recommendations for a daily maintenance dose which is too bad.    But, at least it lets me know how much resverotrol I should give should he have a seizure.   

*******************************************************************
I would like to add to the regimen some curcumin.  Here is an article that addresses the protective effect of curcumin against seizures and cognitive impairment in seizure induced rats.  They found that an optimal dose of 300mg/kg given for 30 days "significantly increased the latency to myoclonic jerks, clonic seizures as well as generalized tonic-clonic seizures, improved the seizure score and decreased the number of myoclonic jerks".  They also found reversal of cognitive impairment and oxidative stress when pretreated with curcumin before seizures were induced.


(300mg/kg)(15.42kg) =   4,626 mg for L per day.


I really like this brand of curcumin.

There is 750 mg per capsule.

4626mg/750 mg = 6 capsules per day or 3capsules, bid.


**This study only used curcumin as a source of anticonvulsant but since I am adding others (CBD, MCT, DHA and resveratrol), I am wondering if I can use a little less than this amount...

No comments:

Post a Comment