Saturday, June 21, 2014

Is This the Future for Us?


Through Dr. Hylas, a naturopathic doctor, I discovered this video that reports on how a mother of a child was barricaded and forced to relinquish the custody of her daughter by the swat team all because she did not want to administer the antipsychotic drug, risperidol.  How could this have happened and of all places, in America?  The State basically overrode the parent's right to her child even when no evidence of abuse or neglect was found.  I am in shock and disbelief but mostly, I am in fear.  Is this the future that awaits Lucas and myself?  Will I be forced to administer psych meds to Lucas if the schools deem him to be "psychotic" or have behavior issues due to his genetic condition?  This morning, as I woke up from the evening slumber, I thought the world was coming to an end - at least my world.  I felt my heart race and an overwhelming feeling of doom lay heavy over my head.  Surely, this must be a full blown panic attack. I kept re-thinking about this mother's plight and what injustice was being perpetrated.  How would I feel and react if such a thing happened to my son and I?  Who would be our advocates..against the government? 
To make my anxiety get even more heightened,  I watched a documentary (above) chronicling more cases where parental rights were overrided by the government from loving and caring parents.  I am so confused as how these things can happen. 

I shared this with a facebook support group for my son's genetic condition and the administrator of the group felt this was inappropriate content to share in the support group and deleted my post. I was confused. He states that my political views have no place in the group forum as if I were trying to promote my own political viewpoint onto the members.    How could this issue not be appropriate for all parents of special needs children?  If anything, issues of medications, home schooling, therapies, etc,,,etc.. should always be a choice that the PARENT, not the State makes unless there is gross abuse and neglect.  This issue should be at the forefront of all special needs parents. 

As I think about my little boy and his cute giggles and the way he squints his eyes under his wire glasses, I feel a heaviness on my chest and the tears just roll down my expressionless face uncontrollably. 

I don't want Lucas to know how mentally hard it is for me to deal with his condition.  He may not understand the complexity of emotions I go through but if he did, I am sure he would feel very hurt and sad that he is the reason for my anxiety.  This is why I always remind myself I fortunate and lucky I am to be a mother to such a beautiful and wonderful child like him.  He is the reason my heart sings. 

I will never let the above cases happen for my family.... Never. 

No comments:

Post a Comment